Premature grey is common, there's no denying the fact that it can happen to you at your earliest age. It's a common circle of life that everyone has to taste, Period!
However, it is understandable if you want to fight it.
In fact, there's an entire industry built around fighting it. Some claiming to offer results overnight and some claiming to give you your lustrous hair back. All of this can happen, but inevitably it comes at a cost. A cost that can sometimes lead to serious problems.
Going for Natural remedies is the ultimate solution here, And what's better than having Henna on your coverage list.
It not only serves as a great alternative for conventional box dyes, but can also make your hair thicker, stronger, smoother, and shiner.
So how can one cover greys with henna and how come it is so beneficial for our hair.
What is henna and how it covers grey?
Henna is basically a plant that contains a very effective coloring pigment called: Lawsone. The leaves of the plant are crushed, dried, and shift into the packaging to make fine henna powder. When mixed with liquid, the henna powder can offer the same pigmented result as for both hair mask and skin usage.
Our method of using henna is with Indigo powder, which is another plant-based dye, effective to fight grey hair. By mixing both powders together and following the consistency, you can achieve a wider range of hair color options.
So next time, if anyone says that you only get red-orange color with henna, you can show them the difference.
But before you dive deep into the henna world, keep in mind that not all henna powders are the same. There are 3 types of henna powder available in the market; Black, Natural and neutral henna. What you're after is the natural henna powder.
Now that we know what henna is and how it can cover up the grey on your hair, here’s the application process.
Choosing a Henna Shade to Cover Grey Hair
- For first-time users, choose a lighter shade. This way, even if the results don't come out as you've expected, you can still go for the darker tone.
- For stubborn grey color, go with a medium-tier color gradient. Burgundy and Mahogany henna are an all-time favorite in this genre.
- For a dark color scheme, you can pick deep red henna, dark brown henna, jet black henna, and wine-red henna. All of these colors are perfect to add natural shine to your hair.
A word of Caution:
If you use pure henna as hair dye, your white hair will turn into an orange or red tone. If you want to change your hair undertones, it's fine. However, if you don't want to cover it, we recommend buying only natural henna powder instead. It adds a glow and shine to your natural hair.
Also, henna itself doesn't have any side-effect because it's made of pure and organic material.
But we never know when we'll allergy or something. For this, do a patch test to check if you have any allergic reactions or not. If no signs pop up, go ahead and apply the henna to your hair.
How to Mix Henna for Grey Hair?
The whole henna hair dye process depends on what product you're using. We recommend you use pure henna powder since it's the best organic product you can use on your hairline.
Here's what you need to get started,
- Pack of Henna Powder
- A bowl to mix henna
- Mixing Liquid (Water or Coffee)
- Plastic Wrap
Once you get hold of all the items mentioned above, here's a step-by-step guide on how you can do this.
- Open the henna powder packaging using scissors and pour all the powder into the bowl
- Now gradually add water or coffee into the powder and stir to make a thin mixture
- Keep stirring, while adding water as per the consistency
- Make sure that you get rid of the large chunks while you're stirring
- Once you get a thin paste, wrap the bowl in a plastic wrap and let it sit for around 8-10 hours at room temperature
How to Apply Henna for Grey Hair?
Now that you have mixed henna powder, here's how you can use it to cover grey. But before the application, wash your hair thoroughly and wear an old shirt.
- Remove the plastic wrap and stir the henna mixture for a bit
- Divide your hair in 4 sections, making sure that you brush every partition
- Apply a little Vaseline on the hairline, just in case the henna stain won't mess your beautiful face
- Apply the henna mixture to your hair. For this, you can use a hair coloring brush or just your bare hands
- Start from ends, all the way to the tips of the root
- Once the application process is done, cover your hair with a shower cap
- Set the stopwatch and let your hair rest with henna for about 2-3 hours
- Once the alarm sets off, wash your hair with a shampoo
And that's pretty much all you need to cover grey on your hair. If you're still confused, watch this short video.
Covering Grey Roots only
Though we encourage you to use henna on your full hair, you can still use it as a touch-up. Keep in mind that dyeing a specific grey root can cause uneven tones. But if you're careful enough, you can cover this too. Just make sure you don't skip the mixing part because that what's matter.
Best Henna Hair Dye to Cover Grey
Here’s a list of our top pick for the best henna hair dye that is perfect to cover greys.
Made with a blend of henna powder, indigo powder, and other natural herbs, this dark brown color is perfect to impress you with a chocolate tone. Our dark brown henna color darkens your hair roots to a brunette shade, covering hair grey in the nicest way possible. From conditioning to cleansing, get full recovery for your hair naturally.
This one is perfect for all the redheads and blondes out there. Made with natural henna powder, this henna hair dye is a perfect definition of rich color and hair recovery. Using it conditions your hair, adds shine, covers gray, boosts manageability, and improves overall hair health.
A cherry-red tone with a bit of purple hint offers you the stunning tone of Burgundy henna hair. This eye-catchy hair dye is perfect for blonde, medium, and light brown hair. The pure vegan dye is perfect to cover dark undertones and cover greys like a champ.
If you want to cover your gray without having to touch your lighter locks, this dazzling jet-black color is perfect for you. Enhance your ebony hair tones with a new height of this dramatic hair color. The carefully crafted formula of natural herbs and powders offers no irritation, burns, or bruises.
A classical touch of wine red color made with natural ingredients. Our wine red henna dye color is a combination of pure henna powder, red kaolinite clay, and other natural herbs. A combination of these ingredients not only colors your hair but also helps boost hair volume, add shine, and purifies the scalp with a soft and shiny look.
- Henna and Indigo Powder
Indigo powder itself doesn't cover grey hair, it has to be applied with henna powder or hair that has already undergone the henna dye treatment. Although the mixing and application process is the same, you just have to add apply henna powder first and then the indigo powder mixture.
Tips for Using Henna Hair Dye to Cover Grey
We know that henna hair dye application is a bit time-consuming process, but going for a natural solution is always the best option.
- Be sure to follow all the directions mentioned above for an effective result
- The process can get real messy soon, so cover your hairline and other body parts
- Don't add too much or too little liquid. You don't want the mixture to drip from your hair neither do you want it to weigh your hair
- Be sure to follow the rest time and the application time. It's 8-10 hours rest for henna itself and 3-4 hours for your hair.
The Henna Guys Henna Hair Dye
We have a wide range of henna hair dye colors and other vegan and natural products that can help boost your hair health. Choose any of your favorite hair dye colors to condition and cover grey naturally.
Not only this, henna hair dye also promotes hair growth and scalp turnover. So, no more allergic reaction from now on. Natural and Organic products all the way!