The green revolution of "Neem oil" has been long studied and trusted by researchers for its fruitful benefits and uses.
In this article, we will explain what neem oil is, how to make neem oil for growth, as well as some potential benefits for hair.
What is Neem Oil?
Over the years, Neem has been used and respected as the panacea of ancient medication.
In fact, In India, neem is referred to as "The cure for all ailments".
This is due to the fact that every part of the tree is valuable and can be used for various purposes. The neem fruit has great antioxidant properties, the neem leaves are perfect for deep conditioning, and the plant itself has excellent repellent properties.
Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial.
Ease dandruff, smooth frizz, and soothe scalp inflammation.
Works well with
Carrier oil such as olive, coconut, jojoba oil to reduce irritation.
Generally, anyone who has scalp irritation.
Not suitable for
Those who have potential irritation or are suffering from a scalp condition.
Read More: Benefits of using Neem Powder for Hair - Natural Hair Growth Mask
Neem oil is one of the many products of the neem tree and because it is a mixture of neem fruit and plant, it has combined antifungal, antimicrobial, and anti-parasitic properties.
When applied to the scalp, neem oil can help with itchy scalp to a great extent and is a perfect supplement for healthy hair growth.
But just like any other product, Neem oil can have its side effect; not because of its properties, but because of the mixed ingredients – Like preservatives.
And since, the oil is mixed with other ingredients, it effects the purity of the product. So, how can one ensure purity of neem oil?
Well, the best way to do this is to simply make neem oil at home. Because using it this way, you know exactly what ingredients you have used in the mixture. So, it will have the most beneficial effects on your scalp.
Ways to make Neem Oil at Home
One of the best and easiest ways to make Neem oil is to use Neem powder. The powder form of neem is derived from the crushed leaves of the neem tree, so you can use it right away. You can also use other herbal powders like Henna, Indigo, Fenugreek, Mulethi, etc., to double the benefit.
Note: Since this is a Powder DIY recipe, you're required to use a carrier oil as a base. For our DIY recipe, we will use castor oil. You can also use coconut, jojoba, sesame, or any other oil preferred.
Steam Distillation - The Purest
- 100g Neem Powder
- 8-10 tsp of Castor Oil
- Wooden spoon
- Double pots or boiler
- Fill one pot/boiler with water and let it boil
- Put the second pot on top of it and add the base oil (Castor, coconut, or jojoba)
- Add Neem powder into the mixture and stir it with a wooden spoon
- Add more oil or powder if required
- Once the mixture is fully dissolved, turn off the stove and let it rest for 15 minutes
- After this, strain the mixture and add the oil to a glass bowl
Powder Mixture - The easiest
- 100G Neem Powder
- 8-10 tsp of Base oil of your choice
- Wooden spoon
- A pot or boiler
- Add Neem powder and oil to a pan
- Heat the mixture for 2 minutes while stirring
- Close the stove and let it rest for 10 minutes (Cover the pan)
- Strain the oil in a glass jar, and you're all set
Optional: You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil just to make it refreshing.
Also Read: Fenugreek Powder - The Benefits of Using It for Hair and Skin
Neem Leaves - The Longest
- Fresh Neem Leaves
- Coconut oil
- Pan, wooden spoon, and grinder
- Take fresh neem leaves in a grinder and add some water
- Grind the mixture well until you get a thin paste
- Add coconut oil to the pan (1 cup is recommended for 500G of leaves)
- Add the grinded mixture and let it boil
- Cook the mixture on low flame while stirring
- When neem starts to change color (from green to a bit of brown) close the flame
- Let it cool down for 10-15 minutes and strain it
- Preserve it in a glass bottle
Neem Fruit – The Rarest
The reason why we called this the rarest is because neem fruits are a bit hard to find. However, if you get your hands on some, you can always try this method.
- 8-10 regular size Neem fruit
- Coconut or castor oil as a base
- Heavy bottom pan
- Wooden spoon and water
- Cut the Neem fruit into small pieces
- Add the fruit to the grinder and mesh it
- Add the base oil to the pan (half cup), and then the grinded mixture
- Gently heat the mixture for 10 minutes while stirring
- Once the mixture boils, switch off the stove and let it rest for 15 minutes
- Strain the recipe in a non-metallic bowl
How to use Neem oil for hair growth?
Neem oil is a natural byproduct of neem leaves or fruit. The “wonder plant” has been widely used in medicine and has demonstrated antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. But can using neem oil result in hair growth?
Here are some of the profound benefits of Neem oil:
- Condition your scalp
- Temporarily seal hair follicles
- Reduce dandruff
- Minimize grays
- Promote healthy hair growth
One of the key benefits of using Neem oil lies in how well you use it. So, the first thing you want to make sure of is that you cover your scalp with Neem oil, not your tresses.
Here's the process in detail:
- Section your hair into different parts
- Take 4-5 drops of Neem oil on your palm
- Massage the oil onto your scalp using your fingers
- Start from the front side, all the way to the back
- Once you cover your scalp, apply the oil on your ends as well
- Since our ends are the oldest hair, it also needs attention
- Make sure to cover the areas where you feel the most itchiness
- Let the oil rest on your hair for 60 minutes or overnight
- Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo
- Repeat twice every week
Once you make your DIY neem oil at home, make sure to preserve it in a non-metallic jar. For best results, it is recommended to make Neem oil in small quantity and use it for 4-5 days.
Since Neem powder is secured in specialized packaging, you can take it out and make neem oil on the go. Additionally, you can mix it with herbal powder, essential oils, or serums to double the growth benefits.
Can neem oil improve hair damage?
Neem oil is a rich source of antioxidants, minerals, nutrients, and phytochemicals that nourish the hair and control damage.
How often can you apply neem oil?
It is ideal to massage your scalp with neem oil at least twice weekly. Using it daily can also be beneficial, depending on your scalp condition. If you have a sensitive scalp, it is recommended to do a patch test.
How to wash your hair after neem oil treatment?
Once you apply neem oil directly to your scalp, leave it for a few hours or overnight. You can use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to wash off neem oil from your scalp. Wash as usual with regular water.
Thank you vary for the easy to follow instructions on how to make neem oil at home.