Sulfate is an ingredient, shunt by the internet world for being a toxic chemical, used in our everyday shampoos - That builds up on your hair, suffocates your strains, removes natural moisture, and is very difficult to wash-off.
But That’s all a theory!
In reality, more than 90% of regular shampoo contains Sulfate. And not all of them are as bad as it looks. So why people are shifting to sulfate-free products?
Is it really that complicated? Should you make the shift or not?
Here are some answers for your most searched ‘Sulfate in Shampoo’ questions.
What are Sulfates?
As mentioned previously, Sulfates is a chemical ingredient used in products like soap, shampoo, and toothpaste. It is made of surfactants, meaning that they both possess the properties of water and oil.
The reason this ingredient is used in washing products is that it can easily grime off the dirt from hair and skin. One of the most common Sulfates that you can be found in almost every 'foam-based' cosmetic is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).
So Why the Bad Reputation?
Sulfates are not entirely bad. In fact, they are considered safe to use in many cosmetics. So why the bad reputation?
The problem is that, sulfates are 'too effective' at washing dirt from your hair, that it also removes all the natural moisture from your scalp. This leaves your skin or hair feel a little dry. Also, if your skin is sensitive, it can cause itching or redness.
Effect of Sulfate on your hair
Here are some of the prominent havoc effects, sulfates can have on your hair.
- Scalp Irritations - Using sulfates can leave your scalp itchy and tight. This leads to eczema and worsens dandruff
- Hair Loss - If you don't properly rinse off the shampoo from your hair, it can damage your hair follicles. This ultimately leads to hair loss
- Fading - Regular shampoo can also fade your hair dye, especially if you use henna
- Dry hair - Sulfate dissolves all the moisture on your scalp, making it feel dry and ruff
As the name suggests, Sulfate-free shampoos are made of natural ingredients. They offer more organic results compared to regular cosmetic products. The shampoo helps nourish everything on your hair - From roots to the end. Depending on the brand you use, general ingredients include:
- Water (Aqua)
- Decyl Glucoside
- Essential Oil
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Glyceryl Stearate
Benefits of using a Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Sulfate-Free Shampoo is recommended for the following reasons.
- It Helps Prevent Hair Loss - A sulfate-free shampoo nourishes your hair scalp, which is very helpful to prevent hair loss.
- Prevent Sebum Removal - Our skin is composed of a natural oil called Sebum. Using a sulfate-free shampoo can prevent it from losing this natural element.
- No Kinky Hair - Sulfate-free shampoo is made of essential oil. These oil substances prevent curly and kinky hairs.
- Styling Hair - Styling your hair is easier by using a Sulfate-free shampoo. With this, you can easily do curls and straightening.
- Improved Hair Color - It also increases the duration of natural hair dye.
Shifting from Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Although it may seem that Sulfate-free shampoo is the ultimate fix of the future, it’s not suitable on all skin types. Especially if you shift from regular shampoo to Sulfate-free shampoo, you will not like the experience. It’s mainly because:
- Difficult Washing Oil - Because Sulfate-free Shampoo is mixed with essential oils, it is difficult to wash-off as compared to regular shampoo.
- No Lather Form - Most sulfate-free shampoos don't provide that much foam as we see on regular shampoo.
Best Sulfate-Free Shampoo
The Argan Shampoo is a fine product that offers a sulfate-free experience - An excellent remedy for your hair. The Argan Shampoo help nourish your scalp, combined with enriched essential oils to help protect your beautiful hair.
Furthermore, it also improves your hair growth and volume. You can also buy the Argan Shampoo and Conditioner Duo to get all the essential nutrients your hair needs.