Have you sworn off on sandals or open-toed shoes because of the embarrassing cracks you have in your feet? Well, worry not as cracked feet are kind of normal. Our feet have fewer oil glands than any other part of our body, hence they can easily get dried and look like the Sahara Desert.
Who wants that, right?
Dry skin can often appear on the sides and heels of your feet and sometimes between the toes. It can make the affected area feel tight, itchy, and even painful. If that's the case, then follow along with us as we have some amazing remedies you can follow to get rid of dry skin on your feet.
What are the causes of dry feet?
There are quite a lot of factors why you have cracked skin. Some of the main causes are mentioned below:
- Improper Shoes: One of the main causes of this is shoes that don't protect your feet properly. Whether it's an unsized shoe, or if you wear sandals a lot, or whatever the case - Our shoes play an important role in the overall protection of our feet. So, the first line of protection is to wear proper shoes both in the house and outside.
- Aging: Over time, our skin loses its consistency and ability to store essential nutrients. As a result of this, it becomes thinner and less plump. Older people will experience dry feet a lot because of the natural aging process.
- Soap: Soaps and body washes, that contain sulfates are very good at removing dirt from your skin, but they are also very good at removing moisturization. Some washing products also contain chemicals that can cause your skin to become dry. Failing to wash your feet or washing them more often can result in this kind of problem.
- Lack of Moisture: Another major cause of most skin-related concerns is because of the fact that our skin either has too much moisturization or no moisturization at all. Dry skin in particular is common on the sole of the heels as there are fewer oil glands there to produce skin's natural oil.
- Humidity: It can be because of the weather condition or the closed shoes you're wearing. Extremely hot and humid temperate can also lead to thick, cracked, or dry feet.
5 ways to best Get Rid of Dry Skin on Feet
Normally, the dead layer of skin will naturally fall off from your feet. However, you can always speed up the process and remove the buildup of dry skin.
In the following section, we've shared some tips on how you can best solve your damaged or dry feet problem.
The most common and basic technique to get rid of dry feet is to provide them with the lost moisturization. As mentioned previously, the natural oil glands on our feet are much lesser compared to other body parts.
Providing it with moisturization will not only improve it but can also make your feet silky soft. Now, there are a lot of different ways to moisturize your skin. You can use essential oils, creams, lotion, or dedicated moisturizers made for your feet.
Exfoliation is a great way to remove dead skin cells from your skin. Since dry feet are part of it, you can use the same method to either chemically or physically exfoliate your feet.
There are a lot of different scrubs you can use for this, or you can make your own if you have the following items:
- Warm Water
Make a mixture of the following ingredients and massage your feet with it. Rub off the dead layer with an exfoliator and enjoy the baby-like soft feet.
Read More: How often should you exfoliate your skin?
Or, in case you want to spend some extra bucks, then there are foot scrubs, body scrubs, and foot peels available as well. They are mixed with essential ingredients and can be used on irritated and sensitive skin.
However, before you buy any chemical exfoliate, make sure to check the ingredients for sensitivity. Do a patch test before the application.
A foot soak is yet another great way to get rid of dry skin on feet. Warm water in general can improve blood circulation to the feet and will be helpful to soothe and loosen dry skin. Now again, you can either make the foot soak in your home or buy one from the market.
Dead sea salt, in particular, is a powerful ingredient made with antimicrobial properties that can help disinfect the feet.
Here's a fun little recipe you can follow to make this. Note down the ingredients:
- 3 cups Epsom Salt
- 1-3 Fresh lemons
- 1-3 cup vinegar (apple cider or white)
- Add the vinegar and salt to warm water
- Squeeze in the lemon juice
- Mix the ingredients in a circular motion
- Soak your feet into the mixture and let it rest for 5-10 minutes
- Use a pumice stone or an exfoliating glove to gently remove excessive dead skin
Use a Foot file or Pumice Stone
A foot file or pumice stone is a specialized foot exfoliator product that can get rid of dead cells from your feet. To best use it, follow the tips provided below:
- Soak your feet in warm water and soften it
- Wet the foot file or pumice stone
- Gently rub it over your feet
- Clean your feet with regular water when you're done
- Do this twice every week
It is recommended to not overdue your feet with this treatment as it can crack your feet as well. Be careful and only do this when you have dry feet.
Use a healing balm
As the name suggests, a healing balm is made to moisturize and prepare your skin. There are healing balms made for the feet as well. Put it on in the morning to increase the elasticity of your skin. Wear your soaks or sandals as you do and wash your feet at the end of the day.
A healing balm can also hydrate and rejuvenate your skin, helping it from the inside. You can also use it overnight for extra protection. No matter what time of the day you use, it is again important to pick products that are natural and free from harmful chemicals. Remember, you want to heal your feet not crack it.
Follow the steps mentioned above and you’ll be busting out those flip-flops in no time.
Some other Helpful Tips
Now that we know how you can effectively get rid of dry skin from your feet, here are some prevention tips you can try:
- Practice proper foot hygiene which includes cleaning your feet regularly, hydrating, and moisturizing them with proper skincare oils.
- Avoid harmful soaps, creams, body wash, and similar products
- Use warm water to exfoliate, cleanse, and soak your feet
- Wear proper shoes and socks that match your feet
- Don't wear boots or sandals all the time. Let your feet free now so often
- Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer that you can apply to your feet
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to take care of your overall skin
- Use small amount of ingredients if your skin is sensitive
- Don't use razors to remove dead skin from your feet
And while you're at it, we've something amazing to show you. Our advanced Calendula skin repair cream is made with the essentials of nature, packing all the nutrients and minerals required to heal and soothe your skin.
Dry feet are normal and can even happen to minors. Wearing the wrong shoes, not taking care of your hygiene can result in dry and itchy feels. Without proper treatment, can lead to cracks opening, and even infections.
Use the treatment methods we've mentioned and you surely enjoy soft feet. However, it doesn't mean that they will always work for you. There are some medical conditions such as eczema that can cause dry feet too. People who have severely dry skin should visit a dermatologist for proper care.