Some of us love it, some of us want to get rid of it - All in all, freckles are something which can't go unnoticed if you want clean and clear skin. Sure, they look great on your face and provide a sense of uniqueness, but not everyone is a fan of them.
In fact, some people would rather look for ways to remove them, if not, at least try to lower the spots.
However, freckles, just like acne scars and rashes, aren't easy to get rid of. As these pigmentation spots are caused due to over-exposure to the sun, they reside deep inside your skin. But it doesn't mean that you should shut yourself indoors or wait for winter. There are plenty of techniques you can try to get rid of them entirely, or at least dramatically fade them.
In this post, we've put together the following guide to freckles, and how you can get rid of them.
What are freckles and why do they occur?
Freckles are small brown spots on your skin, normally visible on the nose section and cheeks. They usually occur in people with:
- Light to medium brown skin
- Primary attributed to exposure to sunlight
- Possible genetic predisposition
They differ from dark skin patches and moles in a way that they lay flat on your skin. Also, studies show that Freckles aren't harmful or painful. The only difference they make is to change your physical appearance, which in most cases a lot of people aren't happy with.
Read More: Is Hyaluronic Acid Good for Acne?
How to get rid of freckles
Here are 6 simple yet effective home solutions to get rid of freckles.
Note: These remedies are not proven to eliminate freckles. If you're sensitive to certain ingredients, consult your dermatologist before you go ahead with the recipe.
The most organic and natural ingredient to help lighten your skin. Lemon is a rich source of Vitamin C which exhibits anti-pigmentary properties to help protect your skin from harmful rays. Not only does it act as a protective shield to guard your skin but can also reduce the effect of blemishes and freckles.
To use it,
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Gently apply on your skin with a cotton or fingers
- Rub it, let it rest for 8-10 minutes
- Wash your skin with regular water
Duration: You can follow this recipe twice every week.
Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the best ways to fade the sign of freckles and dark spots. Apple Cider Vinegar contains malic acid which exfoliates your skin and offers a light skin tone. Also, vinegar reduces the hyper-pigmentation on your skin improving the overall appearance and reducing acne scars.
Note: Vinegar can be sensitive to your skin, to use it, pair it with thick liquid, like honey.
To use it,
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of manuka honey
- Mix the ingredients and apply directly to your freckles
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes and rinse off
Duration: You can do this once every day or repeat it every alternate day.
You can find aloe vera gel in almost all sunscreen products. It is because aloe gel triggers the production of metallothionein in the skin, which is a very helpful ingredient to guard your skin against harmful UV-induced rays. So, instead of using it as a third-party ingredient, you can apply this as a whole.
To do this,
- Apply fresh aloe gel on your face
- Massage for 2-3 minutes and leave it for 10 minutes
- Rinse with lukewarm water
Duration: You can repeat this every day.
If it's a DIY recipe blog and there's no mention of Yogurt... How can it happen?
Yogurt contains lactic acid which is a fine ingredient to suppress melanin formation, inhibit tyrosinase, and reduce hyperpigmentation. All in all, it's a great ingredient to reduce the appearance of freckles.
To use it,
- Take 2-3 tbsp of yogurt
- Apply it on your face, gently massage it, and leave for 15-20 minutes
- Wash with regular tap water
Duration: You can follow this method as much as you like.
Studies show that Turmeric contains curcumin, a primary component that inhibits melanogenesis, a fine ingredient to reduce the excessive deposition of melanin.
And in case you're wondering, melanin is a form of skin pigmentation that causes freckles. For the recipe, you can use turmeric powder or turmeric essential oil on your face.
To do this,
- Take 1 tsp of turmeric powder or 1 tbsp of turmeric essential oil
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice in the mixture and stir
- Apply it on your face and wait for it to blend/dry
- Rinse off thoroughly with lukewarm water
Duration: You can follow this recipe once every week.
A widely popular oil used for pharmacological purposes. Eucalyptus essential oil inhibits the properties of tyrosinase, which helps reduce the sign of hyperpigmentation of your skin. Thus, making it a perfect candidate to include in our DIY recipe.
To use it,
- Take 2-3 drops of Eucalyptus Oil
- Blend with a carrier oil of your choice
- Apply the oil on the freckles and leave it
- You can either rinse your skin or use it as a moisturizer
Duration: Use it before going to bed for maximum coverage.
Note: Make sure to do a patch test if you have hypersensitive skin.
Also Read: Difference between fine lines and wrinkles
Do freckles go away with age?
There are two types of spots that are often referred to as freckles. The former will go away with age, usually on their own during the winter or when you're less active in the sunlight. The latter sunspots can take more than this and sometimes will stay with you forever.
- Ephelides: The most common type of freckles that mostly happen during summer. Your simple DIY home-freckles recipe will help fade away these spots.
- Solar lentigines: Also known as sunspots, they take the longest to go away and require the hardest of effort. Sometimes, our typical home remedies work, but in most cases, special dermatological treatment is required.
Does Cosmetic Treatment help for freckles?
One option for removing freckles is to undergo cosmetic treatment, which includes laser treatment, chemical peels, topical retinoid creams, and Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) rejuvenation. Many professionals will offer these services and target a specific area such as the face, neck, or anywhere on your body.
They are effective in some cases and require to undergo multiple sessions to get rid of freckles - Ultimately reflecting the budget segment. Also, cosmetic treatment contains chemical makeover, which itself is not recommended if you have sensitive skin.