Thanks for trying out our Henna Hair Dye
We’re sure you’ll love the new transformation. At The Henna Guys, we pride ourselves on using pure plant-based naturally grown and chemical free henna. Since this is a natural dye, henna will NOT lighten dark colored hair, and individual results may vary based on hair type and your current hair color. The dye may take a few days to darken to its final result. It is recommended to wait three days to see the final color result.
First Time Henna Users
For the first time henna users, it may take up to 3-4 applications to get the desired result. It can be because you’ve already used chemically bleached dye before or your hair may take longer to recognize plant-based dye. Henna has many benefits in addition to coloring hair.
Henna naturally conditions, strengthens, and protects the hair from sun damage, while removing excess oils! It is also very helpful in terms of itchy scalp, promoting overall hair health and making it soft, silky and shiny after every use.
Video instructions on How to Apply.
Instructions in the below video are shown for a 2 step application process, however, for experienced henna users, a one-step process may work well as well. To get maximum coverage, we recommend a two-step application process.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A Bowl
- Pair of plastic gloves
- Shower cap
- Spoon for Stirring (non-metallic)
- Hair tint brush (optional)
- Black Coffee (brewed) or Water
Don't have the Application equipment? We've got you covered!
Strand Test Result for Jet Black Hair Color
We have tested our Jet Black henna hair dye on 7 different hair strands. This will help you figure out what the before/after result will look like after you're done applying the Jet Black henna dye.
How to Apply Jet Black Henna Hair Dye?
Our Jet Black Henna is a two-step process.
Process 1: Pure Henna
- In a glass bowl, mix pure henna with warm distilled water until you get a yogurt consistency.
- Once mixed, allow the henna to activate for 8-10 hours. If it hardens after 8-10 hours, simply add a few drops of water to loosen it again.
- Divide your hair into four sections (this makes it easier to apply the henna to all your hair). Start from the roots of your hair and work your way down to the tips, making sure the strands are entirely covered. Once done, cover your hair with a shower cap (or saran wrap), and let the henna sit on your hair for 3 hours.
- After the 3 hours, rinse the henna from your hair using cool water until the water runs clear.
- Prepare the Indigo powder now while your hair dries.
- (Please be aware that after this first step, your hair will look/be red. Don't be alarmed. The second step will give you the black color you're going for)
Process 2: Indigo
- In a glass bowl, mix the indigo powder with warm, distilled water until you reach a yogurt consistency. (If you want a deeper color, you can use black brewed coffee or black tea instead- it doesn't matter if its caffeinated or not).
- Let the indigo mixture activate for 40 minutes. If it hardens, just add a few drops of water (or coffee) to loosen it up.
- Divide your hair into four sections. Start applying the indigo from root to tip, making sure all your hair is covered.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap/saran wrap, and let the mixture sit on your hair for at least 3 hours (the longer you leave it on, the deeper the color will be).
- Rinse hair out with cool water until the water runs clear.
- Enjoy your new hair color!
Tips and Notes
Helpful Tip: Please use the two step process for optimal results. You can use color safe, sulfate & paraben free shampoo after 48 hours of rinsing the henna. It helps with getting the color stick to the hair better and helps prevent color bleeding.
Important Note: Henna hair dyes are different than conventional hair coloring products as it does not contain chemicals that lighten the color of your dark hair, or quickly develop color. With that being said, it takes around 2-3 hours minimum for the application process. Please reach out to us BEFORE placing an order if you have any questions about the application process.
Allergy Warning: While our jet black henna hair dye is made with natural plant based ingredients, some people may still be allergic to plant based products. To rule that out for our jet black henna, please do a strand/skin test before doing a full on application.
Q: I am not sure of my allergies, is this product safe for me to use?
A: This hair dye is made with henna and other plant-based ingredients, it is natural and safe to use, however, someone people may be allergic to plant-based products as well (peanut allergy is one of the examples), so to rule that out, please do a strand and skin test prior to full application.
Q: I am severely allergic to chemical hair dyes, can I use your jet black henna?
A: Yes as mentioned above, this product is made with natural ingredients, so its safe to use, however doing a strand/skin patch test prior to use is highly recommended.
Q: Can I use henna on hair that has previously been treated with chemical hair dyes?
A: Henna can be used on hair that has previously been dyed with chemical hair dyes, however, grey coverage or desired color may not be achieved as fast as someone trying on virgin hair. You may have to apply henna at least couple of times to get the desired color.
Q: Why two step process? Can this be used as a one-step application as well?
A: Yes, it can absolutely be used as one step process. We highly recommend two step process for first time henna users, as grey coverage is better with two step process.
Q: How long does the henna hair dye last?
A: Once your hair gets used to henna, the dye may last between 2-4 weeks, depending on your hair types. You can use our henna aftercare hair oils to keep the color for longer.
Q: Why is this a two-step process?
A: The two-step process gives better results than the one-step (especially if you are a first-time henna user or have lots of gray hair). Indigo needs a pure henna base to work off of in order to color properly, otherwise, you’ll get strange colors like green (on light hair/grays), or blue/purple tones.
Q: Will this cover my grays?
A: Yes, this will cover your grays. Be aware that grays are incredibly stubborn when it comes to being colored as they are texturally different than normal hair, and dryer as well. It may take a couple applications to get the grays to take to the color.