Seasonal skin changes can throw off your skin care routine, especially if you live in an area with four distinct seasons. Luckily, minor changes in your skin care regimen are all you need to handle these disruptions.
Common Winter Skin Problems
Cold outdoor air and dry indoor conditions can wreak havoc on your skin. These are some of the most common skin problems for those of us who live in colder areas:
- chapped lips
- dry face and body skin
Count yourself lucky -- or on top of your winter skin game -- if you don't deal with these skin issues as temperatures drop. If you do, read on for winter skin care tips!
Dandruff and How to Get Rid of It
Dandruff has many causes, so identifying the source of your flakes can be difficult. Dandruff is caused by a fungus called malassezia. We all have malassezia on our scalps; it's how your skin responds to it that determines whether or not you develop dandruff.
The itchy scalp and flakes that come with dandruff might make you think you have a dry scalp. Dandruff is actually caused by excess oil on the scalp, so a daily shampoo for oily hair and scalp can help. Supplement your shampooing habit by conditioning with a fenugreek powder hair mask every other week. Speaking of supplements, take B vitamins and zinc if your diet doesn't supply you with enough of them. Finally, take a minimalist approach to hair gels, mousses and other styling products to reduce buildup.
Winter Skin Itch
Winter skin dryness often goes hand-in-hand with itchiness. What you don't do for winter skin can be as important as what you do. Avoid the following for less-itchy skin:
- hot showers
- staying in wet socks and gloves
- overdoing facial masks and peels
Opt for a gentle, non-irritating facial cleanser with no parabens, sulfates or phthalates. Our nourishing Non-Foaming Face Wash contains soothing goat milk and moisturizing aloe vera for soft, comfortable, smooth skin. Keep dry skin at bay with rich face creams and body butters for an itch-free winter.
If chapped lips are currently sparring with dry skin for the title of worst winter skin problem, try these tips:
- Avoid water loss from lips by drinking from a straw
- Exfoliate lips with two parts sugar to one part oil (jojoba, olive, coconut, etc.) and a wet toothbrush; apply lip balm immediately afterward
- Keep multiples of your favorite lip balm around your home and in your purse, car and desk drawer
Medicated lip balms help heal damaged or very dry lips. Sun damage can cause chapped lips, so slather on a balm with SPF when you head outdoors.
Dry Face and Body Skin
One of the biggest winter skin woes is dry skin. Whether on the face or body, winter skin dryness can seem like a given in colder climates. But switching up your skin care routine seasonally can give you the targeted relief you need. Try these winter skincare tricks to give your dry skin the hydration it craves:
- Avoid overly hot bath or shower water
- Use lukewarm water to rinse your face
- Add moisture to the air with a humidifier
- Dissolve makeup and end-of-day debris with a cleansing oil
- Exfoliate weekly to get rid of dead skin cells that can cause dull skin
- Try a moisturizing cleanser containing soothing, restorative goat milk
- Swap out your water-based moisturizer for an oil-based cream or lotion
- Grind whole, uncooked oats into a fine powder and add to your bathwater
Switching to natural skin products can do wonders for your skin, especially if it's dry or sensitive. Skin care products from The Henna Guys contain no sulfates, parabens or other harsh ingredients to irritate delicate winter skin. They do contain natural ingredients to nourish, hydrate and cleanse your skin. Our vegan moisturizers, cleansers and other products are vegan and cruelty-free, too.